Written by: Billie Clark
After heading out to Toronto this weekend to see Potted Potter (a Harry Potter parody two-man play), and stopping in at a “Just You Sarah & Tom” store while I was downtown, I was thinking about how much of a nerd I am. If it wasn’t obvious based on my anime recommendations posts, and the fact that I read fanfiction (points for you if you caught that mentioned in previous blogs), I also have a huge collection of manga and anime, and a collection of anime figurines and plushies. Plus, there are the t-shirts—my graphic tee collection is comprised of school swag and “nerd” shirts.
But “nerd” is such an all-encompassing term, and something I think really ought to be embraced. Everyone has a bit of nerd in them, so here are 20 ways to find where your little bit lies. This list is far from complete, so comment with any that I missed, and let’s all get our nerd on!
You know you’re a nerd when:
- You have to buy all the books in the series, even the side-stories and novellas, for completion’s sake, if nothing else.
- You have ever cosplayed, tried to cosplay, talked about cosplaying, or have a Facebook photo album (or page, or group) dedicated to who you want to cosplay as.
- You have a collection of fandom knickknacks, usually including a mug.
- Your tee-shirts help you make friends with similar people (example: “Hey, that’s a great shirt! I love that show!”)
- You have more than 3 fandom keychain charms on your keychain (bonus if some of them are meant to be cell phone charms)
- You have cell phone charms, and actually use them.
- You’re phone background is related to a TV show, movie, game, book series, music group, or app.
- You have read more fanfiction than you would probably admit to (bonus if you have accounts on more than one fanfiction/fanworks website)
- You have written fanfiction or created fan art (bonus if you’ve ever published it on a fanworks site; super bonus if it was popular)
- You have shopped in “Hot Topic”—more than once, and for yourself.
- You can’t actually go into a bookstore without spending money.
- You have been to a convention. Any
- You can name all the members of the Fellowship of the Ring (bonus if you can also name all the Dwarves that kidnap Bilbo Baggins; super bonus if you can describe if and how they are related to Gimli)
- You read the book before you watched the movie or TV show.
- You have binge-watched more than two television series (bonus if you have marathon binged multiple TV shows)
- You have a least one ringtone or notification tone on your phone related to a film, TV show, or game.
- You have watched anime, of your own free will, more than twice (this doesn’t include any anime that you watched while you were between 3 and 13 years old—we’re talking recent-ish)
- When people say a sort-of line from a song, you want to sing the rest of the verse.
- You can recite the dialogue along with the actors, with proper emphasis.
- You are enthusiastic about your interests, and not afraid to share them!